Last month, Focal Press Announced the arrival of a new lighting book geared towards the Film and Video market, Set Lighting Technician’s Handbook, 4th Edition by Harry C. Box. In this, the fourth edition, Mr. Box expands on some of the latest technologies and products available to the industry for lighting a set.
New to the fourth edition:
- More coverage of the aesthetics of lighting
- Detailed information on LED technology and gear
- Material is harmonized with industry safety and skills training curriculum
- More coverage than ever before about setting up and running DMX512 networks and DMX512 enabled devices, including wireless DMX512 networks
- Completely revised and updated sections of HMIs, tungsten light fixtures, and fluorescent technologies
- Additional information on dealing with current harmonics, working with portable generators.
- New section on using 480V power
- And plenty more.
The Set Lighting Technician’s Handbook focuses on what is important when working on-set: trouble-shooting, teamwork, set protocol, and safety. It describes tricks and techniques for operating a vast array of lighting equipment including LEDs, xenons, camera synchronous strobes, black lights, underwater units, lighting effects units, and many others. Since its first edition, this handy on-set reference continues to be widely adopted as a training and reference manual by union training programs as well as top university film production programs.