Wow, I am just a bit behind. PLASA took a whole lot out of me! Almost two weeks later and I am still recovering! While over in London, Nemetschek announced their latest version of Vectorworks, version 2012. Side note, I love the version numbering as of late guys!
Version 2012 brings updates to their entire line of titles, Vectorworks Designer, Architect, Landmark, Spotlight, Fundamentals and Renderworks. The enhancements found in the Vectorworks 2012 products will save designers time and increase their productivity. The software’s interface allows users to easily conceptualize their designs, while innovative, flexible tools let them document their plans and easily collaborate with best-in-class open BIM workflows.
Here is a quick run down of some of the new features found in 2012.
- Enhanced 3D modeling: The software now examines the model under the cursor and sets the working plane automatically, removing the general need for users to manually set working planes.
- Improved Building Information Modeling (BIM) capabilities: The new stories feature allows design layers to be dynamically and vertically referenced to named story elevations. Story-aware objects like walls, columns, slabs and stairs can span across stories and update with story elevation changes.
- Integration of building and site: Vectorworks 2012 software marries building and site design and is the first package to combine a complete BIM modeler with extensive Geographic Information System (GIS) capabilities (available in the Vectorworks Architect, Landmark and Designer applications).
- Best integrated renderer: Improvements to the Renderworks rendering application include the introduction of Renderworks Styles, which can be re-used and shared among team members. In addition, users will enjoy significantly improved OpenGL shadows and better solar animations with the new Heliodon object.
- More than 100 performance and usability improvements: This release addresses user requests such as a new 2D X-ray fills mode, faster viewport navigation, new custom color options for backgrounds, faster access to frequently used settings, coincident selection, streamlined polyline arc editing, offset improvements, improved wheel zooming and others. This version also offers designers the ability to generate hidden lines between intersecting geometry and, in the Design Series products, to modify objects by record value.
- New features in the Vectorworks Landmark and Spotlight applications: This version of the Vectorworks Landmark program includes improved stake objects with better visual representation and data information on the drawing, better control over hardscape creation, a new option to convert between boundary and path configurations and the ability to specify different pattern sizes for grid and running pavers. The Vectorworks 2012 Spotlight application features a more intuitive way to focus instruments, as well as a new soft goods object that enables the creation of curtain, border and pipe-and-drape assemblies.
To learn more about Vectorworks 2012, visit Nemetschek’s website at www.vectorworks.net.