With any contest or competition, there has to be a set of ground rules to follow. Not only does it level the playing field, but organization is a good thing. Here are the rules for entering and competing in the Student Lighting Design Competition.
- You must be a registered and active student in college with a valid student ID*.
- All design, rendering and paperwork must be produced by the entrant and no one else.
- The design does not have to be a “realized” or produced production.
- One submission per student allowed
- No limit on size of fixture inventory, show or complexity
- Entries must include the following in a single zipped file with your first & last name as the file name.
- Synopsis of your Lighting Design in PDF
- Explain why you chose what you did and how you plan to use your fixture choices.
- Include sketches and photos of your concepts.
- Lighting plot in PDF and original Vectorworks file
- Section Drawing in PDF and original Vectorworks file
- Rendering from Renderworks in PDF
- Only one rendering of a scene is required.
- Lightwright Paperwork in PDF and original Lightwright File
- In PDF format, include: Channel Hookup, Instrument Schedule
- Scanned or Photo of Current Student ID
- Text file containing contact information
- Entries will be judged on the knowledge of Lighting Design, use of software and USITT RP-2, Recommended Practice for Theatrical Lighting Design Graphics.
- Rules pertaining to the Student Lighting Design Competition may be updated and/or changed without notice.
What the Judges are looking For:
- Originality of the design ideas and the ability to express those ideas in words
- Suitability of those ideas to the chosen play/musical/entertainment
- Choices of equipment, color, and control for implementing your ideas
- How well the design materials (drafting, paperwork, etc.) meet the highest professional standards
- Whether there are conceptual ideas expressed as lighting in their visual materials (renderings or sketches)
Each entry will be required to authorize the following:
I hereby authorize iSquint.net, Stage Directions Magazine, Nemetschek Vectorworks, Inc. and its official Vectorworks distributors, City Theatrical and Field Template to use my submission for display on its web site, and in print and/or electronic form for advertising, promotional, and other marketing purposes. My submission does not contain confidential or exclusively proprietary information or details that may not be released. When possible, I will be credited by iSquint.net, Stage Directions Magazine and Nemetschek Vectorworks, Inc. or its official Vectorworks distributors, City Theatrical and Field Template.